Bathrooms are among the most accident-prone areas in your home. It is important to put preventive measures in place to reduce the risk of injuries and therefore make the space safer especially for toddlers and senior citizens. A trusted interior and fencing contractor in the area shares some tips for securing the bathroom here:
- Cushion sharp edges with adhesive guards. This is to minimize slip-and-fall accidents. Also, make sure to keep essential items like shampoos and soaps within reach from the walk-in shower or bathtub so you do not have to step out to grab what you need. Do not forget to clean surfaces as well as mold and mildew can make them slippery.
- Install anti-slip features on the bathtub. While it is incredibly crucial to install anti-flip flooring in the bathroom, the bathtub also needs the same attention. Whether it is rubber or non-skid decals, making the tub less slick will help prevent slips and falls.
- Install grab bars. For older adults, falls are the leading cause of hip and brain injuries. Adding slip-resistant grab bars to the bathroom space is a non-negotiable safety measure. An exterior remodeling contractor recommends selecting rails that are bolted to the wall instead of models that use suction cups.
- Lower the water temperature. Setting the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit can prevent scalds or burns. You can also purchase anti-scald devices such as heat-sensitive toys for toddlers for added protection.
- Keep the bathroom well-lit. Avoid stumbles that lead to bruises by keeping your bathroom bright at all times. Whether it is inexpensive LED night lights or compact fluorescent lamps, bright lighting promotes excellent vision and cleanliness in a busy bathroom.
Maris Home Improvements is a premier bathroom remodeling and siding replacement specialist. We are committed to providing the comfort and safety that each and every homeowner deserves. Call us at (636) 948-6004 or fill out our contact form to request a free, no-obligation quote.